Friday, June 5, 2015

Stubborn and bull-headed...but still tripping into...

As I was preparing to leave this morning and getting ready to "doctor" up my heels one of the other pilgrims looked at my feet and told me I should take another day. She said to ask Alice our hospitalerra to stay another night. But before I could she did it for me. Alice came and looked at me feet and agreed one more day was what I needed. So I have rested my poor feet again. 

I know that I am a stubborn, strong-willed, sometimes bullheaded person but I do listen to reason. Besides this was the third day and that's what the nurse said to take. 

So I strolled around Burgos a little more. I got out early because I had to pack my bag so that Alice could clean. Actually there were three of us staying another night because of injuries. As I stepped out into Calle de Calvo I saw this:


One of the things that I have tried to do is not get in a rut while I'm here so I try to go different places for meals or coffee or refreshments/snacks. So this was my breakfast of champions this morning. 

(Well shoot I've gone through two Nikon batteries and I'm giving up at this point. I had what equated to a large quiche, bread for two, a coffee con leche, and fresh squeezed orange juice (8-10 oz). 

And yes it was fresh squeezed orange juice! 

The whole thing cost a whopping $4.27 American dollars (€3.20 for those wanting to keep track of that.) and it was delicious 

So then I needed stamps (if you want a postcard from Spain send me your address in a message and maybe you will get one. 😈😇)...anyway I went to the tourist office to find out where the post office was and to ask about the bus schedule from Burgos just in case I needed some sort of transportation. Was weighing all the options. 

I saw another woman who had been in the albergue with me last night. She was still not well but decided yo move to a new one. She asked me to watch her bags for her and then help her get money from the atm. My college German came in handy. Woohoo!!

Then it was off on my errands. Post office and pharmacy for more supplies. As always there were interesting things to see along the way and more pictures to take. (Most are on my #%+ camera)

Fiat
Wait that's my cycling club the Mello Velo rest stop last year at the Wampoo Roadeo a ride to honor Marilyn Fulper!! From what I understand she had a special gift she shared with others. I never met her but feel I've gotten to know her through the love of others. 

Perhaps that's what community is about...

This girl couldn't choose between skates or a bike. Look closely!!!

Then it was back to wait for the albergue to open back up. And at noon we get get our instructions. Alice is so sweet but very direct. It is the place of the Good Shepherd. I love it. The name of the church I grew up in. 

I let all the pilgrims who had walked or been on their bikes today today shower first. It left me with little hot water but it was the right thing to do. One if the things I have learned to do while in France and Spain is turn off the water when it is not needed. It saves water for others and just plain doesn't waste water. In some places I have stayed the water and lights shut off on their own...incredible!!! (Joking of course but we can learn a lot!)

I rested a little more...doctored my wounds again and then headed out for dinner before pilgrim's mass which Alice described as a party...with bread and wine...I hope someday all of us may enjoy the party together!! I'll say more about that another time!! 

Suffice it to say that there is bread and wine served with every meal on the Camino...not in the churches but along the Way where there is community...and I think Jesus smiles!

Some women from Slovenia invited me to join them at the end of their meal. We had great conversation and community. Just what the Camino is about. Just what life is about...or should be...

1 comment:

  1. Some levity for your trip

    Lost on a rainy night, a rabbi stumbles into a monastery.
    "Welcome, Rabbi! You're just in time for dinner!"
    "Thank you so much, but I can't eat meat that isn't kosher."
    "We have excellent fish 'n chips."
    "Oh, wonderful."
    They eat.
    "Say, these are the best fish n' chips I've ever tasted. May I thank the chef?"
    "Certainly. Brother Michael and Brother Francis, please come in!"
    "Very pleased to meet you, gentlemen. I just wanted to thank you for the finest fish and chips I've ever had. Just out of curiosity, who cooked what?"
    Brother Michael replied, "Well, I'm the fish friar."
    The rabbi turns to the other brother and says, "Then you must be...."

    "Yes, I'm afraid I'm the chip monk."
    Bada Bing, Bada Boom

    ReplyDelete