Thursday, June 4, 2015

Color FULL Day!!

Second full day in Burgos. I have declared this a day of Color. From the streets of brick to the painted buildings to the people's clothes. It's a day of color. 
I woke in the night drenched in sweat. Not sure if it was from keeping the COPPER metal blinds closed to keep the noise out or because I had a fever and it broke. But whatever I felt great this morning. And when I removed the WHITE bandages from my feet they were so much better just like the nurse said they would be. 
So I took my shower and decided on my SALMON shirt for the day. 


Of course had to wear something over it at first because it was only 50 degrees this morning. So I cleaned my wounds per my nurse, finished packing my backpack and headed out for the day's adventure. 
Already I knew it was going to be better I got my sandals on over the bandage. And only have them on one foot!! AND I could simply walk down the steps. Backpack on and I was not gingerly stepping. Awesome. 
I stopped for breakfast. Figured out where I wanted to stay tonight. It fills up quickly so needed to be there early and just sit and wait but I had time. And then planned my next steps. Also went by the tourist office to get info about where to get new shoes....taking pictures all the way. 

I got back to the Albergue at 10:30 and there were already 7 people ahead of me. I had been there at 9 but knew since it didn't open until noon I had plenty of time. I waited. Some people invited me to join them for coffee as we waited. The time passed quickly. Finally our host greeted us. 
Those who were sick or had medical papers were the first received. People encouraged me to the front. And tried to get my bag for me. I was in tears. There were others. I believe 6-8 in all. It was quite moving. 
As we made our way up the stairs I saw the shells. 
She explained to us that we are in a place of opposites. The last come first...those who are ill get first attention...and then she said welcome to a place where you are close to heaven...
After getting settled I went out searching for shoes. In this city of color. 

I stopped for lunch, took a few more photos:



and then headed across the river. Where I found the store but they were closed until 5 pm. So I went and  sat awhile again to watch people. Sylvia, who I met yesterday came by and sat with me. She is riding the Camino. She started in Frankfurt and has already put in more than 3000 kms. 

At 4:45 we headed back across the river. The man In the store directed me to a pair of shoes. And they were okay. But I asked to try something else. He said they would be to wide and too large because they only come in men's. We finally convinced him to let me try. And they seem to fit great with all the swelling. I also bought another pair of sandals, Tevas. :)  I'm not going to throw the other hiking shoes away just yet, just in case. But I feel a little better about my prospects. And they follow the theme of the day. COLOR!!!


I'm going to try to walk just 13 kms (about 10 miles) tomorrow. I walked 5 miles Wednesday and 6 today. And my feet are okay. I will wear sandals. And take many breaks. 

Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers. 



1 comment:

  1. Colors are so important to our balance. I bought a new chair for my family room and it is bright red. It fits in with all the other colors nicely. I met an artist, Rex Deloney, and he fills his paintings with exquisite colors that all flow nicely together. Your photographs captured delightful colors. Now as far as the new shoes go, no one will miss you as pass by. Don't overdo as you get back into your walking. The miles will start going by again. Keep your goal in the forefront. Keep talking to people and learn more about life.

    ReplyDelete