Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Cuckoos

Yesterday as we made our way out of San Juan de Ortega I was thinking about my father and his birthday. He turned 92. It helped me to concentrate on something other than the fact that I hadn't been able to get my shoes on and I was going to walk 9-10 miles in Chakas (over rocks and gravel and asphalt). And yes even in my Chakas I couldn't wear the same sockwear 

(William be proud of the colorful statement!) because my right foot was so swollen. 

As we headed out of San Juan we entered the forest again. And the music started. Joelle sang a bit. But when she stopped the birds started. And we were headed up, up, up again. 

Then it got quiet. 

You could hear the click, click of the walkers sticks. The crunch, crunch of our shoes but otherwise we were silent...walking along...walking...

And then in the distance, "cuckoo, cuckoo". And a response. "cuckoo, cuckoo". Again. "cuckoo, cuckoo...cuckoo, cuckoo". 

I suddenly felt as if the birds were calling to us pilgrims. " Hey you!! You are...cuckoo, cuckoo". They wouldn't stop. It wasn't just one but several. You are crazy pilgrims. Especially you, with your mismatched socks and your sandals. You are climbing mountains. You are doing the impossible. You are cuckoo. Little do you know you are going to walk 15 miles not 9...Turn back now. 

And I thought of all those who have been told they are crazy as they struggled for peace or justice; freedom or equal rights. I thought of those who stand against oppression, against the bully; who do what is right when another path is easier. "Cuckoo, cuckoo". I thought about how someone tries to say they are wrong or crazy or discounts what they are doing. 

"Cuckoo, cuckoo" they sang to us all the way up the mountain. 

Yesterday was a tough day. It was 15 miles instead of 9. I said goodbye to my friends. I was going to be in the city alone. Maybe I was cuckoo. 

Yes, I had to say goodbye to my Camino companions for a time, go seek some medical attention, let my feet heal and get some rest. But I am still on the way, perhaps still hearing the voices of those who criticize, but only in the distance, for they cannot overwhelm the joy...of tripping into grace and bringing others with you. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you are resting. Sad that you had to say good bye to your friends though. Super impressed at the mileage you have conquered so far! Enjoy your day resting and looking around the city. Do not listen to the birds!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang tough Debbie...its just pain...pain passes and memories fade...the experience will remain at your core.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it was hard leaving the security of your new friends versus giving your feet some time to mend but you made the right call and you will meet up again. Hang in there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh,dear one, I'm sorry to hear of you need to lay low for a bit, but am glad that you are listening to your inner wisdom. You are not alone - our ever faithful triune Holy God is with you - goes before you, guards behind you, is your foundation, and the light upon your pathway. And, we, your family, are with you in spirit ... in prayer ... in love ... always. You've got this! You rock!

    ReplyDelete