Friday, June 12, 2015

Relaxing into Grace--tranquila

So I started to day walking with the word peace on my mind. But I was kind of rushing to get ready and think through all the things I needed to get done. I was wondering if I'd stay in Sahugun or go a bit farther depending on the weather. I was thinking about...well just lots of things. But peace was the theme for the day. So in between my myriad of thoughts I would say a prayer of peace for others...then anxiously wonder how many kilometers in 7 miles, how many miles in 24 kilometers, if the next village has a water fountain or a store I think I need water soon...and breakfast I left without breakfast and the second village had no place open...peace...for those...

...oh look there is a good place to stop for coffee. And with that I stopped for coffee. I was so hungry. I tried to pay the man and he told me to relax...tranquila. So I did. After I jumped up ran outside in the rain and grabbed my guide book to see where I was going. 

Then I came back in another couple came in. They were from Italy. I got a little distracted. Because the man started talking to me about how he was going to keep dry...trash bag on his body...check. Two pair of socks with a plastic bag between...check. And a feminine product in the bottom of the shoe to absorb all moisture. Wait what?  Yes that's what he said!!

Great science fair project what feminine product absorbs more in your shoe while walking in the rain??? (Thus will absorb more. Things I've learned on the Camino.)

Okay anyway...when I finished with my yummy breakfast and stimulating conversation I wanted to be helpful by taking my dishes to the counter and as always was "tripping into" something and managed to drop all my dishes and break the glass in my hand cutting myself. Yes, yes I did. Well you'd think I'd lost a limb the way the owner took care of me. And just kept insisting, "tranquila, tranquila...sieta te." So I did. 

I've often told people to just breathe. But now I was being told that...by a perfect stranger. I've been told that I need to slow down. But now this angel in disguise was saying the words that I started the day with but hadn't found...peace, relax, tranquila. 

He spoke to me in Spanish. And I tried my best to answer. He was gracious. When I left he shook his head at my torn poncho and gave me a hug and a beautiful smile and one more encouraging word to "tranquila, relax...buen Camino mi Amiga!"

With tears running down my face I set my heart toward peace. But walked with a new bounce in my step. 


I am still working on that peace...but with a new walking partner from Germany named Eileen and a bit slower pace because of her knee and my feet I'm finding my way toward Santiago, peace, tranquility and breathing...One step at a time...one day at a time...one encounter at a time...one trip at a time!





1 comment:

  1. 1 Kilometer = .621371 Miles
    1 Mile = 1.0609341 Kilometers

    ReplyDelete