Sunday, June 21, 2015

Humbled by grace

I haven't posted for several days so those of you who are not on Facebook will not know that I have had foot issues again. I'll resist showing you a picture because it looks much worse than it is even though it is bad. 
So today, thanks to the advice from my good frien Tracy my feet are up!!

When I walk too long or in the heat of the day is when the pain starts. Many of the albergues have rules about getting up too early and leaving (not before 6). Pilgrims are an interesting lot there are some who like to rise early (4:00 or 4:30 and walk 50+ kilometers-31 miles). But often they miss things doing this. 


But I digress....

I gave in yesterday and with a walking friend Marion, from Germany, who was also having some trouble with her feet we took a cab for 3 miles. Then in the evening decided we would take another car on to Sarria which was about 29 miles on. It leaves me 71.5 miles to walk. And it is well within the last 100 kms required to get the certificate of completion Compostella. 


I have kept track of a few things: I have walked 443 miles (those are actual miles not resting or riding miles); I've fallen 3 times (you can guess why the name of my blog is tripping into grace, perhaps I should go ahead and change it to falling into grace); and I have gotten back up all three times; I have left behind two pair of walking sticks and my rain jacket accidentally; i broke a glass in my hand when I was trying to be helpful; I have sent a pkg on to Santiago so my backpack is lighter; learned to discard things so that I'm not weighted down by unnecessary items; appreciate letting go of things material as well things I cannot control or change; I have filled up my pilgrim credencial and will start a new one tomorrow; I'm getting better about asking for help; about being vulnerable; I have pushed ahead when I had the strength; quit when my body was tired; rested a day or two or three; enjoyed not having a migraine or a headache of any kind in more than 30 days; listen more; forgiven; and by telling you some of these things I am letting you know that this has been very humbling while at the same time very inspiring and exhilarating and transforming. 



In the midst of tears I find joy. 
In the midst of the pain I discover hope. In the midst doubts I am given faith. 
In the midst of struggle peace. 
In the midst of weakness a strength. 
In the midst of loneliness...
...I remember love. 

And so much more. 

Thank you for continuing to share this journey with me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment