Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Spirit of Gentleness




Yesterday's walk was all about silence and peace. It didn't start that way....

As we headed out of Leon it was crowded and noisy. We walked along the busy street through the middle of town, and though there were signs...

There was lots of noise. We moved out of town into the industrial area until finally we got to a quiet road. 


I was happy!!! In fact heard that playing in a coffee shop!!!




After a few minutes all of the sudden Eyleen and I both commented it's so quiet. Neither one of us were talking. Just listening to the sounds of nature. 

We walked a lot in silence yesterday. It was nice. 

It was also a day of weather changes. It started off very cool. Then it heated up. There was no wind. Then all of the sudden the clouds moved in and a blustery wind came with them. And finally rain. 


Eyleen and I had decided to walk a bit farther than Villar de Mazarife. But the rain came. However I am getting ahead of myself. 

While we were walking a long a stretch of the camino when the wind started blowing...

 I looked up and saw this dove. She was fighting against the wind, I thought at first, but then I realized she was hovering, over what, I wondered? As I walked closer she would flap her wings and soar and move ahead. This happened for the rest of the day. 


When Eyleen and I made our last stop and fixed our lunch of brown bread and cheese, covered our backpacks and put on some rain gear and then headed out we were asked by other pilgrims if we thought it might rain. Eyleen and I both looked up in the sky at the dark cloud and simply said, "yes". 

And rain it did. My dove was still hovering ahead of me. I decided when the rain started that I wanted to stop at the next town. But I also decided to say in my head and heart, "hey I've never seen anything quite like this dove flying ahead like a beacon and a sign so if it continues beyond Villar de Mazarife so will I."  


Well we got in a conversation with some other pilgrims for about 3 kms. Then the rain really started to come down. They stopped to help some other pilgrims that they had been traveling with earlier and to get their rain gear on (yes they are the ones who asked us if it was going to rain.) 

At this point I looked up in the sky and my dove hovered...flew ahead...hovered again then flew away. I told Eyleen that I was staying in Villar de Mazarife even though I knew it might mean she would go on. She said, "me too!"  We found a really great albergue. 

In the evening we had the most amazing dinner...




Then afterwards while I was treating my feet the French gentleman in the bunks next to us were very concerned about my feet so they came came to help!



I am filled with incredible peace even in the storms. It was a good day. Always there are people to share a meal with, a laugh, a story, the silence of the road...And in the end the day was concluded once again by many pilgrims snoring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment