Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Happy Birthday! Walking in Honor of my father

June 2, 2015

Happy Birthday daddy. 92 years old. You have seen a lot of changes in this world. As a child of the depression you know how to conserve. As a man of faith you know how to pray. As a man who learned early how to work and how to work well you know never to waste a moment. You have gifted your children through your example and your life.

Thank you. 

But what I want today to comment on is my walk...the Camino de Compostella (which you were all in favor of me coming on until you found out I was coming alone). As I walked today my 12th day of walking, pushing 200 miles in 12 days and celebrating in my mind your birthday I thought of your time during World War 2. 

Here are my thoughts: On the Camino. My pack is half the size of yours 20 lbs compared to 40 lbs) and my walking sticks don't weigh any where near your 12 pound rifle. I can stop for coffee when I want to, or at the pharmacy when I have a blister, or even 
decide to take a rest day. You didn't have that luxury fighting during the Battle of the Bulge or any other time. 

You, and other soldiers, or for that matter refugees, or prisoners of war, can't stop but must keep going against the weather, the enemy, the threats that come. 

I walked today in honor of you. But it just doesn't seem enough for all you've done. 

As a soldier who fought for others..as a servant of God who has worked faithfully ...as person who has pursued  justice and taught others to do the same. 

So I will simply say I love you, daddy. Happy Birthday!!



No comments:

Post a Comment