Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Singing with friends on the Way

Today I was just plain afraid of the walk. Two of us if not more just can't get these dang blisters to heal. So it was slow going out of Belorado and we were told look down, look back, but don't look ahead. Well dang that's not very encouraging. AND THE LAST 12 kilometers are with no villages, no water, no support--you're on your own. Make sure you have food, water, and if you don't choose to stay in the last village well keep walking because that's it for 12 kms. 

Well we got out of Belorado and Camilla and Marie were gone. It was Liliane, Joelle, and and me walking along. Joelle stated singing, in French. Then she sang "we are walking, walking along the Camino,,,"
I started singing a good morning song my mom taught me. Liliane mentioned a Good Morning song of an American singer we finally figured out it was from "Singing in the Rain" and we broke into song. 

Then they asked me to teach them the song my mom had taught me:
Good morning, good morning, good morning!
It's time to rise and shine!
Good morning, good morning, good morning!
I hope you're feeling fine! 
It's time to get up get out of bed! It's time to get up you sleepy head!
The day is dawning just for you...
Doodle ee doo, Doodle ee doo, Doodle ee doo!
(Repeat until the person is tired of hearing it and gets up!) ;)

Well Liliane started a little jig as we went along. That got us going. And the songs kept coming as we climbed and descended and climbed again and then thought the road would never end. 

We started up after the last village, after getting supplies for lunch and plenty of water. And I started singing again. There's a song in my tradition "over my head I hear music in the air...there must be a God somewhere..." It's got verses. After singing all the way through those verses I started making up verses..."when your feet are tired there is music in the air..." Or  "when your climbing mountains there is music in the air" "when you work for justice there is music in the air..." Well you get the idea it carried me up the mountain despite the blisters. 

I finally had to take off my shoes and put on sandals for the last 6-7 kms my feet were burning. But we kept singing all the way in to San Juan. We stayed in San Juan de Ortega. It is a little village of 30 with a beautiful cathedral. Our albergue was in the monastery. Pilgrim mass was at 6; dinner at 6:30. I'll talk about my experience at mass another time. It was quite lonely but very moving. 

At dinner there were all sorts of pilgrims. Those that walk. Those that cycle. And I met one that was trail running the Camino. He was running 60 kms a day/37 miles a day for those in the states. 

I was so tired at the end of the day. But singing my way through the day was good. I guess that makes this day a day of tripping and singing into grace after being so afraid of what was to come!! ;)

I like that!!

1 comment: