Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Grumbling with Grace

Grumbling with Grace

I slept in a little this morning because of the amazing thunderstorms that raged all night. At 5:00 a.m. it was still going on. At 5:30 it was still going on. At 6:00 still happening. Finally at 6:30 I thought about getting up but rolled over again. At 7 I thought I better get up and get moving by then it was just raining. I got up and started to get ready. I was moving slowly. Not really in a rush. Someone the night before said the rain was supposed to stop between 8 and 12. That sounded like the perfect time to walk to me. I wasn't the last one to leave. When I was all packed I popped around the corner to a place that was open and got a croissant and coffee. My water bag was full and I had another small bottle just in case. 

Today's walk was to be 11 miles before there was any water or food. As a pilgrim you are grateful for the villages that come along about every 3-5 miles. Maybe you didn't need the last one but you know that there is another in just a few miles. But today after I  left Carrion de los Condes it would be 11 miles before the next village. 

I wouldn't want to walk that in the blazing heat with the sun beating down on me that's for sure. And I didn't have to. It rained the entire way. At one point a semi truck went flying past me (because we were on the road) I stood perfectly still, off the road so as not to get hit, he barreled past and blew my poncho back so far part of it ripped. The hood finally came off just a little later there was so much wind today. 

My shoes were wet, my feet were wet. My pants were wet starting at the bottom and moving to the top. My shirts still haven't dried. And I haven't thawed. It didn't get above 54 degrees and never stopped raining. 

I sang most of the rain songs I know and then moved on to sunshine songs. Belting out "here comes the sun" and "the sun will come out tomorrow!" Because I was all alone. 

I didn't take many pictures today because of the rain and it was just too difficult to get my phone in and out of my pocket. I got a few though. 


And I thought about calling this post dripping into grace because the rain was dripping from the sky, my nose was dripping and at times there were tears dripping from my eyes, or splashing into grace as the drops splashed in puddles or I splashed my sticks into them playfully, or even slogging through grace as I was just soaking wet and really wanted a warm fire and a cup of tea or coffee but just kept walking. 

But instead I called it Grumbling with grace because at times when I was walking--looking down, keeping my face out of the rain there'd be a sudden flash. I'd look up to see because it was just like someone had taken a photo. Then the thunder came. 
Lightning was that close. And the thunder roared across the sky. It started on one side and went to the other. 

So often I keep my head down and miss the things of grace or more importantly miss the opportunity to offer grace to another. 

The heavens were grumbling with grace...for in the fearsome roar and even the discomfort of being cold and wet I heard something more...

No comments:

Post a Comment