Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Training--for the Joy


It takes preparation to run a race or to go on a long bike ride or even walk 500 miles across Spain. You need to train. I have a difficult time considering myself a runner. I’ve taken up running off and on throughout my life since I was a kid. But most seriously 4 years ago after my daughter, Lindsay and I attempted the Little Rock half marathon with no training and then the MacArthur Park 5k with no training. Not the smartest decisions.
I still have a difficult time when someone calls me a runner. I just don’t consider myself to be in this class of people. But I have learned some things about what it might take to be a runner and to run a race. I have learned that it’s better if you do some build up before you just go out and run (or ride/sit on a bike for 50 miles or walk the Camino).
I have had an injury since last October, most likely because I didn’t train well for a half marathon. Because of that I hadn’t run in a race from the middle of October until the first of May. I tried a couple of training runs—walk/runs; and walked and cycled but truth be told running really scared me. The fear of putting that kind of pressure and bounce on my Achilles tendon even when I thought it might be healed was beyond words. So for six months I have not been a runner.
On Friday night, because my husband’s favorite 5K was happening and my daughter really enjoys running together, I agreed to run. I was very nervous. Sure, I could’ve walked. But it seemed as good an opportunity to step out in faith and try to run.
I didn’t run the whole way but I did run. And while I was not trained up for the whole 5k it felt good to be back running. One of the most exciting parts for me was cheering others on as they passed me or I passed them. As I was running the last quarter of a mile I was able to encourage and run a woman almost to the finish she was struggling to finish. And then as Lindsay and I waited for Jim we were able to run him in and he got his first medal.
I missed running­­––the joy of the race for sure­­––but more than that the simple pleasure, daily grind, persistent discipline of preparing for it. Because when you spend the time preparing, the “race” is truly a joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment