Monday, May 25, 2015

A Pilgrim's Life Is Hard

A pilgrim's life is hard uttered one of my companions as she swung her feet out of the bunk bed at 6 am Sunday morning to begin the day's journey. She is the mother of. 43 year old and has been walking the Camino since April 19 from Le Puy, France. I think she has a pretty good idea. 

After breakfast we headed out from Zubiri. After not even half a mile in the rain I realized my Fitbit was not on my wrist. I told my companions to go on. I took a few steps but I didn't want to go all the way back so I unpacked my bag right there in the way. I didn't find it. But I remembered that the Camino is about learning new things and one of those is letting go so I decided too early on. At the next village my new friends were there. They asked if I had checked all of my bag. I did yes everywhere but the water bag. I looked and there it was so apparently it wasn't time to let go. Not quite sure what I am supposed to learn yet from that but still listening. 

We left Zubiri and it was still drizzling. Th ground was wet from days previous days of rain. And we were headed downhill. There was a paved rock path that had been put in what must have been dirt and rock. But it was steep and and slippery. I was taking the side trail which was muddy but a bit safe and not as slippery but I needed to switch sides because the path narrowed too much. Yes...that's right...24 pounds of pack and me flew up and landed on my left buttocks. I injured my thumb slightly (blood blister). Camilla and Marie came back and rescued me giving me aid and staying with me, nursing me. 

When my children were little and they fell down I would say, "pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start all over again."  I heard myself say that and saw my children as I sat there. So I got up and finished 11 miles. 

We came to Pamplona and saw where the Bulls run. Stayed at the hostel Hemingway. We ate pinchos not tapas (reference to the movie The Way)



It was a good day!!

I was obviously SLIPPING into Grace!!

1 comment:

  1. "Pick yourself up; dust yourself off; try, try, try again!" You're reminding us all of this "simple" lesson we learned from our moms, too. Travel mercies be with you, dear one!

    ReplyDelete