Sunday, May 31, 2015

Don't read if easily offended

Nothing really profound to say today. At least I don't think so. And if you are easily offended you might want to stop reading now. 

We started our walk from Santo Domingo from the Cistercian monastery/albergue where we spent the night. It was the least expensive, with the least amenities that I have stayed so far. But still very nice. As I stopped in the shoe room to grab my shoes I noticed an unopened pkg of tissue on the floor. "A gift from God" I thought because I keep forgetting to buy them and my nose runs constantly on the camino. I picked it up and pocketed it. 

We stopped for breakfast and I saw a woman I have seen several time asked her how her walk was going and she said she was done, going home. Her mother is dying and she thought she could handle it but no. I told her I was praying for strength and peace for her as we left. We were on the road by 7 am. 

Several of us are still nursing blisters so we trudged slowly out of town. I wasn't 3/4 of a mile to the next town (which was 4 miles away) when I realized I had to go to the bathroom. It wasn't  like Montezuma's revenge hitting but it was a pressing need. Suddenly my feet were not a problem and I picked up the pace. I prayed, "dear God let me make it" no bargains I know better than that. As I came into town there was a pig farm and the smell was tremendous. I vowed no more ham and cheese sandwiches. I prayed again , "dear God please let me make it" I did. But there was a line. "Oh please hurry pilgrims and don't have the same problem I do!!" Well I will spare you details. I stepped out of the coffee bar as my friends arrived. I drank a coke and they orange juice. 

We hadn't left the village when I was standing in line again.  And when it was my turn there was no toilet paper. But I had a gift from God a whole pkg of tissue. "Thank you God!!" Whew!! Okay!! I thought I was all better. So here we go...Out of town down a hill...oh crap (sorry mom!) here it comes again. It's 2 1/2 miles to the next town I won't make it. There was a side road. I dropped my pack ran down the road and "took care of business". Now all better! Let's try again...My friends were slowly walking ahead to keep me in view. 

A couple of turns in the road this can't be happening again!!!!  Surely the town is only 1 mile more. No I won't make it. Look behind. No one around. No. It's not the same. I fall to my knees and throw up...once, twice. There I am on the camino kneeling, "dear God!! Give me strength!!" I thought of Deena her mother dying..."lord give her strength!" I pulled myself to my feet with my walking sticks. Okay. Once again all better. 

Made it through the next town and to the next but had to run in to the tourist office bathroom. (From strength to strength or bathroom to bathroom) in this case. And no toilet paper. No plastic in the trash can. Ugh. But I had tissue...a gift from God. At this point I'm wondering!! Some gift!!! As I come out of the bathroom there are my friends ready to walk with me. 

One of the French women had medicine for me. The next village was only 2 miles. Made that. Next 3 more. We will stop for lunch. Well they will stop for lunch. I will get a coke. And run up the stairs to the bathroom. Hallelujah this one has toilet paper and a plastic bag in the trash!! (It's the little things!!)

Marie has a powder to give me. She describes it as gross. I think it tastes like vanilla in my water. But perhaps by now I'm delirious. They all tell me to make sure I keep drinking so I don't end up in the hospital. 

After that last episode and whatever medicine Marie gave me I was fine. I got sunburned. Was hot. Tired. And walked by the time of this post 18.48 miles today. And know that I'm well cared for by family and friends at home (that I dearly miss) and new friends that I have met here but also this God I keep tripping into through people, creation, beauty, goodness...

On the first day a man asked me if I had experienced any signs. And I told him about the sign in the road that said stay left. I saw tissue paper today and picked it up...it was a sign that sometimes a day can be kind of poopy or worse but even in weak moments, down on your knees in ditches throwing up moments, I believe even on these days strength is given...sometimes through a friend, sometimes through a sign, sometimes through nature, sometimes in the very weakness itself...and that's how I "tripped" into grace today. 

3 comments:

  1. Dear Sweet Debbie,

    I am praying for healing. Be careful what you eat and/or drink. Today proves you are stronger than you give yourself credit for.

    I'm going to admit, I chuckled a little while reading. Not because of what happened but how. I have been in the same situation and not a friend or friendly face in site.

    This proves that poop happens....Literally.

    Love, Peace, Healing , Strength!

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you ... bless you ... bless you ... with all you need for each day ... tissue, trash bags, side roads, friends watching out for you there and friends praying for you here ... angels and signs ... all gifts from God. Bless you ... bless you ... bless you. Love, love, me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you could have had an unexpected encounter. I went a field latrine in my past life late at night. As I was sitting there quietly, a voice asked, Chief, is that you? Seated next to me was one of my African American female sergeants. I had to think twice before I lept into the air. Needless to say it was a moving encounter.

    Keep on walking and having unique experiences. You'll have stories to tell the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete