Saturday, July 4, 2015

Tuesday, June 30, 2015



Started out early from Santiago. Headed to Fisterra (Finisterra)...the end of the earth. 

The first stage looked like this


So I started out early from Santiago. 
Leaving Santiago. 

It was misty...foggy...with a little bit of rain. 
After walking for 7-9 miles a coffee shop was finally open. Afterwards I followed another pilgrim and well we both had wandered in the wrong direction. After 2.5 kms I said, "I'm turning around." He tried to convince me to keep going but I said. By the time we get back it will be 5 kms that we have walked extra." Now understand that this man spoke only Spanish. And my Spanish is less than good. So what he understoodbwasnwhen I started walking away. He followed. Still attempting to convince me to take some of the alternative paths. But as many people know when I make up my mind firmly that's it. ;)
 
So we got back to where we started this wayward journey and sure enough the signs were plenty. 

Here is Maximiliano (Maxi) next to one of them. 

We walked...

And we walked...
The landscape and the scenery ever changing. 

What started out as a seemingly gloomy day burst forth in beauty. 



In one town I saw this fascinating sculpture. 
And as I kept walking realized there was much more to it. 
That's often how it is with life the first glance, the first impression, are often transformed by looking closer, listening more carefully, taking time to appreciate. 

We walked on Maxi and me. Both tired 

Maxi kept saying that I was very strong, had great perseverance, and determination. (That didn't take him long to figure out.) 

And we walked on...


And we made it finally. After 25 miles of walking...though it would have only been 22 if we hadn't taken the wrong turn. 

But still we made it to a little hamlet. And they had room in the albergue. 

This sweet baby was wandering around. If you look carefully at the photo you can see that one eye is green and the other blue. 

I was glad to put my feet up

Eat supper. Visit a little with other pilgrims. And then think about sleep! 
But a great day again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment