Saturday, July 11, 2015

Relaxing Into Grace

In a classic move of being me, the old me who likes to be early, not the me so many of you have gotten to know, and refer to as running on Debbie time, the old Debbie and well perhaps the reconstructed Debbie--who got so much done yesterday and left little to this morning morning so she would be at the train station in plenty of time. When I looked at my ticket not once but several times and even told people about it I told them I left at 4:30 (16:30). 

I had a little trouble going to sleep last night. But that's okay. It was my last day walking and my last night in Santiago. And I might as well start adjusting to the time change. ;) I slept until maybe 7:30 which probably wasn't  long enough but I'm still on a pilgrim schedule. I got everything situated. I felt a little bad because there were two younger women that probably hadn't come in until 4:30 or 5 am maybe and I was starting to rattle bags and pack. But hey it's the Camino. 

I made my meals for the day and the next day since I would be on the train through the afternoon, over night and all the next day "a pilgrim's life is hard!"  And got everything packed. I ate an apple for breakfast and went out for a coffee storing my backpack at the albergue. 

While having my coffee I bandaged my finger. A man was standing at the bar and looked over asking if he could share my table. I said sure. His name was Joe. He was from Vermont. His story brought tears to my eyes. I will try to tell you at some point but it's his story not mine. Enough to say it was a moment of grace. We shared and swapped Camino stories. And then parted. 

I walked around Santiago and then asked at the tourist office to make sure I knew where the train station was. Then went back to the albergue to have lunch and pick up my backpack. I was told it would take 30 minutes to get to the train station. Or I could get a cab for €5. I can walk I thought. I've walked over 700 miles now what's a couple more? No problem. This is what I look like with a few more items that I've picked up. Hahahaha!

Yes I have a pack on back and o e in front. 

Well it didn't take 30 minutes. I past a sign for McDonald's the first I've seen since I've been here. 

And one for Burger King...the second I've seen since I've been here. 

And then saw a little Mexican restaurant. That's right Mexican not Spanish. Well hmmm...McDonald's, Burger King and then a Mexican restaurant. Maybe this was helping me transition. Okay. I had burned 8800 calories in the past 2 days and really hadn't been eating too much. Why not a snack of nachos. ;)

Okay here comes the point of my story...I sat down at this cute little Mexican cafe and get my train tickets out to look them over again. It's about 1:30. I have plenty of time to relax and find my train and deal with any complications. I pull out my train tickets and instead of leaving at 16:30 my train doesn't leave until 18:35. Yes. Plenty of time. 

This is me...relaxing into grace...learning that lesson of tranquilla--and you know what I think I'm getting it down. Peace. Joy. Buen Camino!! Ahhhhh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment