Friday, July 3, 2015

Sunday, June 28, 2015 photos

I got up Sunday morning and planned to go to Pilgrim's mass at noon and 7:30. There was talk that though they only swing the bonafumeiro (the large censer) on Friday evening they were going to again on Sunday. 

So I went and once again got there in time only to take a seat on a column. But it gave me a great view of the weary pilgrims who had walked in for this mass. 

Then the sermon was over and holy communion was fully distributed to those partaking and there was a buzz. And sure enough they were going to swing it. 




I got a little video too and then I just put my phone away. I was just mesmerized. This ancient practice was done to fumigate against the smell and stench of disease brought in from pilgrims in ages past. It's not done as often because it is not necessary and it's expensive. Though I imagine on some days it is more necessary than others...now having walked close to 600 miles...(I've smelled myself as well as other pilgrims.)

 
And then the burning embers went in the special room with those officiating the service. 

After that I had lunch and walked around with Liliane, Joelle, and Marie (from France) it was so much fun. 

This is the door of pardon at the cathedral. It is only opened on special occasions and certain celebration years. 

Marie taking a photo

I had such a great time with Liliane, Joelle and Marie. And it was so good to see them again in Santiago. 



And another day well spent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment