Monday, April 20, 2015

Overcoming Fear


Overcoming Fear

Several years ago I wrote a children’s book. It sat for a long time dormant, after being kindly rejected by several publishers. They were interested but then it just wasn’t “its time”, they said. I am not a confident writer so I FEARED maybe it was my writing. But interestingly enough the story is about overcoming fears. My brother Stephen had originally drawn some delightfully pictures for the publication. We decided to try our hand at self-publishing. William, who was a freshman at the time took Stephen’s original illustrations and modified them. And with a little editing we published.

            I am one month away from leaving for a trip of a life-time as I prepare to walk the the Camino de Santiago. Many people have commented that they are excited for me BUT and then they share their fears for me about my trip. Not all of the fears are the same. I understand fear. Here is the Foreward to that children’s book I wrote:

Freida the Singing Frog is a story about overcoming fear. Sometimes we are challenged to overcome our fear by good things in our lives. At others times we are challenged to overcome our fear because we are faced with adversity or because bad things happen to us. The story of Freida reminds us that even in the face of overwhelming odds, our fear can help us to take a leap of faith. When we do, we will find strength beyond ourselves and others ready to cheer us on!

The strength beyond is incomparable. And my cheering section is unbelievable. Thank you for sharing with me on this journey!

1 comment:

  1. I've read your book to my boys several times. When they were just little guys I'd explain how fear is a motivator at times.

    Fear creates heroes. Surviving creates memories.

    You, my friend, are a fighter, survivor and even though fearful, you are full of inspiration and a hero/herion to many.

    JT

    ReplyDelete