Sunday, April 19, 2015

I want MORE

Today at church we had communion by intinction--take a piece of bread and dip it into the cup. There were several young children in the congregation. After they had that small taste of bread they got back to their seats and said, "I want more!" One of the children got upset. The grandfather and mother tried to comfort him. I thought about giving him another chunk of bread but didn't want to upset those members of the congregation that might not "like" the protocol. So we finished worship, I pronounced the benediction and then picked up the bread plates and headed to the back of the sanctuary to greet people after worship. I stopped and told Henry's grandfather that the bread would be waiting for him. Henry found me after worship. I gave him a chunk of bread and his face lit up. I asked if he would like another piece. And he nodded yes. So I gave him a piece of bread for each hand. His face lit up even more! He scooted out of his mother's arms and came over to me with his face glowing and said, "thank you!"  His grandfather commented that maybe it wasn't appropriate for him to have spoke out and asked. But I told him that I was delighted and that I thought Jesus would be too. Jesus scolded those who would keep the children away from him. And perhaps we should all be asking for MORE!! More of what God has to offer. "I want more!"

1 comment:

  1. I believe children have the courage to ask the questions we are often times too programmed, through society interaction, not to ask.

    Asking for more Communion Bread should be encouraged. Then explained to the child, age appropriately, how and why we want to be full on the bread of Christ.

    I AM A CHILD OF GOD!!....I want to be full on the bread of Christ.

    ReplyDelete