Saturday, June 25, 2016

Crap...you are telling me something!

A year ago I was so close to reaching Santiago. These were two of my favorite days. With all the noise in our world...noise of fear, noise of hate, noise of anger...it is difficult to listen for the whispers of nature, of the divine voice in the midst of the day to day...


It is there, though, in the subtlety of a bird's song,  a frog's croak, a leaf turning, a friend's voice...and more. Watch and listen for the divine and act appropriately!!


So yesterday I was walking alone all day. 


It was fine...I quite enjoyed the solitude and the time to reflect. 


At lunch I stopped at a little coffee bar and got some bread and cheese which was enough for three so I packed part of it up and took it for later. 


While I sat I decided to call ahead to see about getting a bed. Since there are so many more people walking the Camino since Sarria (the 100 km boundary spot) so they can receive their "Certificate of Compostela"  it's much more difficult to get a bed. I called seven places. Finally deciding that I obviously was not going to walk as far as I wanted. I tried the town before Ribadiso which was really just a hamlet. And apparently the albergue only had 6 beds. I was sure I was going to be calling another place in another town. 


They answered the phone and I asked, "Hable Englis?" He said, "un pequeyno." Or something like that. So I said, "camas por hoy?" Hoping that I had asked for a bed for today. He asked, "today?" "Si!" And he did. One.  I reserved it. 


When something like that happens you walk with a little joy in your step. Plus you don't feel like you have to hurry quite as much. I was disappointed that I wasn't going to be farther along but relieved I had a bed. It is miserable to walk up to albergue after albergue and have them say completo/full/no room. 


As I made my way along the path and the day got hotter and hotter and I was happier and happier that I was not going farther than Castaneda.


However, I was about 2 kms from my destination when I came around a bend on a wooded path. There on one of the familiar marked stones with the shell and a yellow arrow was a little tiny bird with a bright orange chest. I wish I had a good camera but I thought I could still get a good picture. I stood very still and and got my phone out of my pocket but she jumped down from her perch to the ground and hopped several steps and then flew high in the air. Disappointed I said out loud. Are you trying to tell me something? And with that turned another corner and sure enough there was a small hill to go up. I looked in the air and said "thanks for letting me know that I had this small hill to climb!" And I started climbing. As I reached another bend there was another marker...


...only this time there was a much larger blackbird sitting on it. My first thought was "crap, this can only mean one thing!" And with that the large blackbird jumped down from his perch and hopped on the ground for a few steps then flew high in the air. I thought "you are telling me something!"


And with that I turned the corner and laughed. And said, "crap this hill is five times as big but then that blackbird was at least five times as big as the orange-breasted bird. At least they warned you and you were paying attention!" And I kept laughing as I climbed. 



Looking up about two thirds the way...



Looking down about two thirds the way as it curves on down!!!


I got to the albergue and was met by the most delightful people. The woman fixed me the most amazing dinner. I stayed with three other guests Daryl and Mary from Australia (I'll tell you more about) and Estelle from Madrid, Spain. 


And saw this sunset...a good day


No comments:

Post a Comment